Friday, February 8, 2013

a quick update

I've been drain free since January 28. Dr. Runnels has added saline to the tissue expanders twice. That wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I was pretty sore for about 48 hours after. I also started physical therapy to help me regain range of motion and strength in my shoulders. I went for my first session yesterday. The physical therapist told me that I already have more range of motion than a lot of women he's seen that come in after mastectomies. He made me do several exercises and then stretched out my shoulders. I was sent home with four exercises to do six times a day. I was also told that I could put my arms over my head while holding a three pound weight. Since starting therapy, I've already seen a difference in my range of motion. He told me that I would see a difference much faster if I did the exercises six times a day, but I wasn't expecting as big a one as I've seen already in 24 hours.

I start chemo on Monday. Please be praying that my body doesn't have all the nasty side effects that go along with it. I've been told to expect horrible nausea and extreme tiredness...I'm praying that it isn't that bad and that I'm able to keep up with my physical therapy exercises.

Our insurance is giving me a headache. They keep telling everyone that we have to meet our $2000 deductible. We should have already met it, but I keep getting that speech about needing to pay that much before we can be covered. We've also probably hit the "max per illness" that our insurance allows. Please pray that each of the clinics/facilities that I've had and will have to use will work with us. Also pray that our supplemental cancer policy will cover a huge chunk that our health insurance doesn't.

I've got hats and a couple scarves and material to make a few more scarves, so I'm set for when I go to shave my head. I refuse to let chemo take my hair and plan to either shave it myself or let the lady that cuts my hair do it for me.

Does anyone have any good books, iPhone or kindle fire apps, or movies recommendations for me? I'll have to sit still for 2-3 hours while I have chemo. I have a few things to read and a few fun apps, but those will probably only interest me for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment