Friday, January 15, 2010

in need of motivation...or a maid :)

I've been doing what I can lately in an attempt to get the house cleaned and better organized. This has been a difficult task with a 2 year old that goes behind me as I pick up after her and scatters her things back all over the floor. So I've also been trying to teach Mattie Leigh how to put her things away...she'd still rather keep them strewn around the house. I have made progress in keeping things cleaner in the kitchen...anyone that knows me well knows that I despise doing dishes. There have been times that there were dishes piled all over the kitchen before I'd get to them. The sink is full of them right now but I haven't been home much the last 2 days and have been trying to get other things done...I'll get to them first thing tomorrow. Lately, I've had a huge problem with folding and putting laundry away...standing and folding everything makes my back ache more than it already does with my ever-expanding belly. Our guest bed is covered in clothes that were folded but not put away and a pile that has yet to be folded. I've got to get to those this next week...I'll just have to remind myself to go slowly and sit to fold as much as possible. After that massive task, I HAVE to make myself put them away. I also have to go through all of Mattie Leigh's baby clothes and shoes and get them ready for Allie Grace. By the way, all this has to be done while occupying Mattie Leigh and making sure all other housework gets done.

What's taken me so long to decide to get the house back under control? you may ask. I've wanted it under control since we moved in but have felt overwhelmed with other things. It's just not an option to let myself stay so far behind anymore. I have to have a sense of organization before Allie Grace is born. Kevin's schedule has also gotten more hectic...he's now a full-time teacher and pastor AND has started grad school...SO he's stretched way too thin to help as much as he'd like.

I'm trying to decide the best way to tackle everything. I'm going to have to limit the amount I do in a day...I've made the mistake of trying to do it all in one day and ended up in a good deal of pain because of it. I'd love tips on how to accomplish everything...or help in getting it done. It still feels odd to me to be in this position because I kept things organized and clean through college. It wasn't until grad school overwhelmed me with the amount of work it took that housework was put to the side. I want to get back to being organized because I'm way less stressed that way.

1 comment:

  1. The only way I can keep up with my house is to take one task at a time. As crazy as it sounds I have a "schedule" of chores/rooms to do. I do one room (two if it's two smaller rooms) per day. If I don't separate it out like that I get overwhelmed thinking about everything that needs to be done and NONE of it gets done!

    ReplyDelete