Monday, March 4, 2013

end of physical therapy and chemo treatment #2

God is still at it! I'm still doing really well with all the treatments and recovery. If it wasn't for the really dry skin and bald head, I would question whether they really gave me the right amount of chemo last time.

I went to my final physical therapy session on Thursday. I was supposed to have to go three times a week for four weeks, but the PT felt like I was at a point already where I only needed to go once a week. From the beginning, he told me that my range of motion in both shoulders was much further along than it should be for that point post surgery. When I finished Thursday, he told me that I have full range of motion in both shoulders and that that's not usually the case for seven weeks post surgery. I still have to do my exercises to help make sure scar tissue doesn't develop and cause problems.

Today, I had lab work done and then saw Dr. Young. I updated her on where I was in recovery and she was more than pleased at how well I'm doing. She was also amazed at my counts from the lab. She said it they are normal and that you wouldn't know I was taking chemo based on the results! She asked what side effects I had after the first treatment and told me to expect pretty similar side effects this time. So it looks like I'll be looking at some mild headaches, chemo mouth, and not really being able to taste things for a few days. I'm hoping for a repeat of very little nausea and tiredness.

The actual chemo treatment was looooong. I didn't get a private room this time and ended up with a new nurse even though we had requested to have the same one from last time (or at least I think we did). It seemed to take a really long time to get the drugs, even though Dr. Young had called in the orders for them before we got to the chemo floor. Then it seemed like it took way longer than two hours for them to be administered. Maybe I was just having a really cranky day and everything aggravated me though because it seemed like everything annoyed me today.

I have to go next week to see Dr. Runnels again. I think he'll add more saline to the tissue expanders. Hopefully, he'll have a better idea on how much longer it'll be before the procedure to switch from the expanders to the permanent implants.

No comments:

Post a Comment